Reporter 441, 25 October 1999
Two telescopes in the physics and astronomy department's observatory were named on October 12 after a local oil merchant whose bequest has helped Leeds students study the stars down the decades.
Scriven Bolton had begun setting up his own observatory at his home in Bramley when he died suddenly in 1929. His mother Hannah arranged to leave the observatory to the University in 1932 and his sister Ida Mary also left a considerable bequest on her death in 1951. The telescopes were dedicated by the President of the Royal Astronomical Society, Professor David Williams, pictured above centre, with students Tim Warren, left and Jim Dooley in the observatory.
[Main news stories | Letters | In the news | News in brief | Events | Notice board]
HTML by Jeremy M. Harmer