Reporter 428, 30 November 1998


Retirements

Professor Peter Baker

Peter was appointed to a lectureship at the University in 1969 and made a reader in 1976.

Following an eleven year spell at Nottingham he returned to Leeds in 1989. His research was largely directed towards volcanoes and perhaps his most significant contributions came from work in the South Sandwich Islands. He also made the first detailed geological map of Easter Island.

He chaired appointing committees for several years and also served as Dean of Science, and as Chair of Senate Research Degrees Committee and the University Progress Committee.

Professor Michael Beddow

Michael took up the Chair of German Language and Literature at Leeds in October 1986 and his twelve years have been marked by rapid and profound changes.

Michael took overall responsibility for drafting and coordinating modularisation proposals and also embarked on an extensive overhaul of the undergraduate curriculum. More recently he has helped prepare students for the first City and Guilds licentiateships in transferable skills ever to be awarded on the basis of overseas work placements.

Professor John Brindley

Appointed lecturer in the Department of Applied Mathematics in 1957, John was promoted to a developmental Chair in Applied Nonlinear Systems in 1992. In the late 1970s he became one of the most enthusiastic and accomplished exponents of the application of the mathematical theory of dynamical systems to practical problems.

His research record and his service on numerous University committees have made him one of the best known and respected figures in the University.

Professor Conrad Harris

Conrad has been a Professor of General Practice at the University since 1986. During this time he has contributed to important research in many areas.

The creation of a separate Department of General Practice, and of Conrad's appointment as its first head, signalled a period of vitally important change. This can be judged by the recent comment of a contemporary that Conrad and his colleagues "changed university general practice from a group of very talented but amateur academics into a serious professional group."

Professor Horton Rogers

Horton came to the University as Professor of Law in 1977, soon becoming head of department; he served a further two terms in 1982-5 and 1988-91.

His last term was only cut short by his appointment as Chair of the Board of the Faculties of Arts, Economic and Social Sciences and Law.

He pioneered the use of case method in Leeds and was an outstanding exponent of it. He always showed a genuine care for individuals and was prepared to give his time freely to coax the best from every student.

Professor Tony Wren

The first computer-generated train schedule for British Rail was developed by Tony and his team in 1963 and much of his career has seen similar applications of theoretical ideas in practice.

He joined the University in 1959 as assistant librarian in the Brotherton Library and was made a senior lecturer in 1972 within the newly formed Department of Computational Science. He was appointed to a development Chair in Scheduling and Constraint Management in 1994.

Professor Sir Roy Meadow

Sir Roy's happy and fruitful time at Leeds began in 1970 when he was appointed as senior lecturer in the School of Medicine, followed by his appointment to a chair in paediatrics at St James's University Hospital in 1980.

He initiated the paediatric nephrology service and discovered a clinical syndrome where parents were fabricating their child's illness, which he named Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. His opinion about these difficult problems is still sought by child care agencies and legal professions throughout the world.

Professor Nicholas Pronay

Born in Hungary, Nicholas came to Britain following the 1956 uprising. He joined the School of History as an assistant lecturer in 1964 and became one of the first historians in Britain to research and teach his interests in the media.

He was a founding member of the Inter-University History Film Consortium in 1968 and has also served as a member of the Councils of the Historical Association for ten years.

He was also the founding head of the Institute of Communications Studies and secured the Chair in Communications Studies in 1995.

[Main news stories | In the news | News in brief | Events | Notice board]


HTML by Jeremy M. Harmer