Reporter 400, 21 April 1997


20th anniversary celebration

The School of Chemistry welcomed Lord Dainton to its celebration of the 20th anniversary of the opening of the Colvin Room in March. The Colvin Reading Room and Undergraduate Library was opened on January 26, 1977, in memory of James Colvin who had lectured in the Department for 24 years. His untimely death in 1949, at the age of 47, was followed by the establishment of the Colvin Memorial Trust Fund. The Reading Room was opened in 1977 by the then Sir Fred Dainton, who was a Professor in the School of Chemistry from 1950 to 1965. The collection now numbers 3,000 books, and fresh purchases are provided through the Colvin Fund; the room has also been endowed with paintings by Rupert Bradley, another former lecturer.
WWW More

[Main news stories | University home page | Events]